“Hybrid is to get required by the combination of the best.”
Similarly, the method of combining planning strategies from traditional project management environments with agile methodologies flexible approach is termed as Hybrid Project Management. Over the time since years, many organizations have a function in an environment following traditional processes. However, as time is evolving software continues to play an increasingly important role in hardware products and agile methods with their iterative processes, and shifting objectives from sprint to sprint now has become more popular. So hybridization is a creative process that creates the required product from a combination of best. Hybrid project management in the upcoming era can be a new way of doing projects.
Hybrid Project Management has 2 approaches-
some parts of a project are implemented in a traditional way while other parts using agile methods. High-level planning employs a traditional approach and detailed planning of an agile to develop the project.
Nowadays agile is an objective of many organizations. But there involves a risk of totally replacing traditional methods with agile methods. So it is better to go for hybrid project management as a safe option that uses traditional principles and involves agile where required. The organization might or may choose to start with one aspect of agile working, such as an iterative refinement to project deliverables. These would lead to more adaptability by introducing more incremental development approaches.
2. Problems of Agile project management-
Even though organizations go for Agile it won’t be right for every circumstance. Even though it may be right for many organizations, there is often a fear of feeling less in control. This can block the adoption of agile due to fear of the unknown. However, the question arises that if an organization does choose to make the change, shifting to Agile is a big investment in time, effort, and money. So due to concerns of total agile project management hybrid project management proves to be a better option.
3. Problems of predictive project management-
It is been observed that when it comes to predictive project management, not flexible for long term outcomes, too much large and complex, the unreliability of budget and schedule, and overly centralized team coordination and leadership. This states that Predictive project management is also not perfect in all circumstances and this also makes an option for moving towards a hybrid project management system.
4. Required outcome-
The main goal of any organization is to achieve the target and for that hybrid project management approach is obvious. A project manager can create a methodology for each project that is most fit for the purpose of getting the project done on time, on budget, to specification, and with full accountability. Most important is an approach that minimizes risk while maximizing the delivery of value. So hybrid project management proves best to achieve the required outcome.
In Agile methodology even though there is no role of project manager the responsibility is taken up by scrum master, product owner or team.
Role of the project manager in Hybrid Project Management-
1. In hybrid project management project manager plans out for agile components to be used in the project.
2. Project manager Monitor and control as part of the overall governance.
3. Project manager looks after the establishment of the project with respect to definition, business case, infrastructure and contracts.
- The project manager also manages interfaces and dependencies with other projects and between components of the project.
- Project communication and wider stakeholder engagement are taken care of by the project manager.
- Project closure and completion are the responsibility of the project manager.
Advantages of Hybrid Project Management Methodology:
· Both developers and consumers team agree on the deliverables at a very early stage in the development lifecycle.
· It is easy to mark progress as the entire scope of work is already known in advance.
· It becomes possible for business analysts to scrutinize and document all primary requirements of a project well before in advance.
· Testers eventually, prepare their test scripts from documentation and coding takes place concurrently.
Disadvantages of Hybrid Project Management Methodology:
· It does not track deliverables and does not guarantee to meet set deadlines with respect to time.
· Frequent administrative intervention for resolving team conflicts can result in a waste of time and effort.
The hybrid approach proves a better option in case if the organization is primarily based on the theory of competitive advantage accepting fluidity of projects. A project moves towards success with a better position with the use of Hybrid methodology. As management is a key to the productivity of the project the productivity is measured in the success of the project with respect to time, resources, and budget. The ratio is measured at a continuous interval of the project. Productivity can also be termed as an effective and efficient product. Effectiveness lies in meeting the final objective of the project. Efficiency can be defined as a task performed based on given methodology with respect to cost and time. So productivity is the multiplication of effectiveness and efficiency. PMP certification is very important to get equipped in skills and master experience in project management.
A project manager plays an important key role in process of project management along with a management team of professionals. So for project management to lead for successful projects this competitive market demands PMP/PMI-ACP certified project manager and other management professionals to be a part of their business. So Monks Learning lab is trying to help candidates by providing online PMP certification courses to transform them into the best professionals. Also, candidates will be able to improve skills and get practical-based knowledge from real industry-based experts. Monks learning lab have given rise to many milestones and willing to create more. So join Monks learning lab to get benefit from the opportunity to be a part of the best industry in the upcoming era.